Happy New School Year! Making Memories from Day 1

I am SUPER guilty of judging books by the cover!  Several years ago, I was in the book store and found a book titled "Happy School Year".  How could I not buy that?  Luckily, it turned out to be a cute book.  It talks about how children all over the country are waking up and getting ready for their first day of school.  The story tells about a school where all the kids and teachers get together and sing "Happy New School Year" then light a candle and make a wish for the year.  They all blow the candle out. 

I have made this a part of my first day routine.  In the afternoon, I read the story to my kiddos.  Then I take out one cupcake with a candle on top.  I tell the kids to think of a wish they have for the year - something they hope to learn or do.  I light the candle and on the count of three, we all blow the candle out.  Afterwards, we all get a cupcake - of course!  This is such a fun way to end the first day of school.  Of course they are going to go home and tell their parents how great their day was, they just got a cupcake! 


 Kids can also draw or write their wishes.
Download the FREEBIES! 


Do you have any special back-to-school traditions?  I would love you to share them in the comments.  I wish you all a wonderful new school year! 

4 comments

  1. I absolutely love this idea!! What a wonderful way to start the year and have students leave with a feeling of excitement and also belonging. I am SO doing this activity this upcoming school year! My little firsties will love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea! I don't really have any first day traditions (does Surviving count?). :) I might need to pick up a copy of this book and start something new this year!
    -Jen
    Tropical Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a sweet idea! I am definitely going to borrow it to use with my kiddos on the first day. Thanks for sharing! ~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Blog Template by pipdig | Logo Design by Christi Fultz