Goldfish Games and Fire Safety

Love these!
Last weekend, when I was doing the dreaded grocery shopping (ugh!), I spotted some FABULOUS new goldfish crackers.  They are made for GAMES!  No way, right?  Of course I bought a few bags.  How could I say no?  The crackers are white and dark blue (almost black).  My kiddos used them for playing sight word Connect Four.  I have Connect Four mats in my store that go with my reading series so we used those.  There are also some really great Dolch Phrase mats over at the School Bell that you can download for free!  You guys all know theschoolbell.com, right?  I get lots of classroom resources there.  I plan on using these goldfish for math activities in the near future.  We are going to use them for adding, subtracting (yum!), and greater than/less than.  I love it when school tastes good!  If you have any ideas for using goldfish games, please share them below! 

 We also had a visitor from the fire department teach us about what to do in case of a fire. He comes every year and I love this demonstration he does with balloons.  



Here, he is telling the kids that the blue balloon is the clean air, the black is the smoke, and the orange is the fire.  The balloons are all tied in a cluster while he is explaining this.





Next, he tells them how the fire and smoke rise to the top, but the clean air stays down low.










Finally, he releases the clip and the kids SEE the smoke and fire rise and the clean air sinks to the floor.  I think this is SUCH a great visual and I have not seen this done by other firefighters who visited us.  (Of course this works because the black and orange are full of helium and blue is full of regular air.  I am a visual learner so I thought this was awesome! 







Well, that about wraps up my week.  I hope you all have a great week.  Play some games, eat some snacks, make it fun!


No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Template by pipdig | Logo Design by Christi Fultz